Developed from the 1920’s by the legendary trainer Joseph H Pilates, the Pilates method is a form of body conditioning designed to build core strength and improve posture through stretching, muscle toning and conditioning. It has become popular with dancers and athletes and also with those who have suffered from bad backs and muscle/skeletal related pain.
Most sessions last an hour and include:
- Gentle mobilization of the body
- Balance exercises
- Precision breathing and core stabilization
- Pilates exercises
- Release stretches
- Relaxation session
Pilates can help with:
- Lower and upper back pain
- Pelvic floor problems such as stress incontinence
- Improve co-ordination, balance and posture
- Strengthen and tone muscles
- Stress relief
- Re-alignment of the spine, pelvis and muscles.